2021 UCC is OPEN

Anthropology: Transfer

Bedouin in Jordan
Source: UCC Professor Renee Barlow

Anthropology is the study of humankind, through all time and space. Anthropologists are concerned, not only with documenting their findings, but finding ways to use their knowledge to solve common human problems.

Anthropology is divided into four major fields which include:

  • Archaeology: The study of past humans and their cultures usually through examination of artifacts, architecture, and organic materials.
  • Physical Anthropology: The study of the physical attributes and development of the human species. Some sub-fields include, paleoanthropology (human evolution), paleopathology (historical development of diseases), and forensic anthropology (identifying remains and determining cause of death using human bones).
  • Cultural Anthropology: The study of human cultures using observation, interviews and surveys. Questions cultural anthropology tries to answer include finding the reason behind differences in personality, social structure, development and socialization.
  • Linguistic Anthropology: The study of how language influences society, and how society influences language. Linguistic anthropologists also work to document unique and endangered languages from around the world.


Archaeologists stand by Native American Granary
Source: UCC Professor Renee Barlow

What can you do with a degree in anthropology? Traditionally, America's anthropologists have worked in higher education teaching or researching, but this has been changing and there are many opportunities outside of the university for anthropologists to practice their unique skills.

Some possible careers include contract archaeology, forensic analysis for law enforcement agencies or museums, market research, planning and research for government agencies or international organizations. Some anthropologists take their training to other fields such as medicine, education, linguists, genetics, ecology, psychology, neural sciences, business, environmental science, social work and law.

For more information, visit the American Anthropological Association's website.

Transfer Guide

Bedouin Girls
Source: UCC Professor Renee Barlow

Majors in anthropology are offered at University of Oregon, Oregon State University, Portland State University, Western Oregon University and Southern Oregon University. A combined anthropology-sociology major is offered at Eastern Oregon University. There are many, many other schools around the country that offer anthropology as a major. If a student should be interested in relocating to a big city, the museum resources are draws for budding anthropologists (Smithsonian in Washington, D.C. for instance, or the New York Museum of Natural History).

Students planning to transfer should work closely with UCC faculty and advisers, and with representatives from the receiving college or university. There may be special requirements for specific programs or schools. Although UCC offers a number of Anthropology courses, not all of these will necessarily count toward an anthropology degree at a four-year university.

Appropriate early courses for anthropology majors are:

  • Science: Geology or Biology
  • Math: 105 or 111 and Statistics
  • Social Sciences: Sociology, Anthropology, Economics, History.
    Individual classes (non-sequences) that would be helpful are Race, Class and Ethnicity and Contemporary American Family.
  • Foreign Language: Two years of a foreign language is required for a B.A. degree almost anywhere (and is a good idea in general!)

High School Students

Get a head start by becoming a dual credit student. Dual credit students attend UCC and high school at the same time! You can complete high school requirements, work on college prerequisites and earn credits towards a degree or certificate all at the same time.

First Generation College Students

Will you be the first in your family to go to college? Take advantage of the Transfer Opportunity Program (TOP). It's FREE. The TOP program provides the extra help you will need to be successful at UCC so you can transfer smoothly to university studies.

Residents of WA, ID, NV, and CA

If you are from Washington, Idaho, Nevada, or California, you pay Oregon resident tuition rates. That's a big discount! You might also be interested in what life is like around UCC. Find out.

Money for College

Get access to millions of dollars that are available to students - not just loans. There are scholarships, grants and work study opportunities too! Every student can use money for college. It can help you to be more successful. Plus, it can lower your debt load when you finish college. Some students actually leave college debt-free! Here are some important sources of money for college. Don't let these opportunities for financial aid pass you by. Act now! Decide. Commit. Succeed.

Why UCC?

Why UCCAt UCC, you can earn a TWO-YEAR TRANSFER DEGREE for less than you'll pay for one year at a state university. Plus, UCC offers:

• Seamless, direct transfer degrees
• Expert faculty dedicated to teaching
• Personal attention and small class sizes
• In-person, online, and hybrid classes


Prospective students should contact an Enrollment Advisor to get started and then see a program advisor (below) to develop a more focused educational plan.

Renee Barlow - Contact
Assistant Professor, Anthropology
Phone: 541-440-4747

Amy Fair - Contact
Chair, Associate Professor, Humanities
Phone: 541-440-4649

Jobs@UCC | A-Z Index | Maps & Parking | Campus Directory | Site Search | Web Feedback | Contact Us

MyUCC | Hawk Squawk eNewsletter | Alumni Membership | Complaints & Concerns | Coronavirus

© 2021 Umpqua Community College, 1140 Umpqua College Rd., Roseburg, OR 97470
Phone: 541-440-4600 | Toll Free: 800-820-5161 | Oregon Relay TTY: 711

UCC Non-Discrimination Statement.
UCC is an equal opportunity employer and educator. 
Umpqua Community College is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.

UCC on Facebook UCC on Instagram UCC on Twitter YouTube LinkedIn