Department of Humanities

Amy Fair
Position:
Chair, Associate Professor, English
Address:
1140 Umpqua College Rd
Roseburg, OR 97470
Taphòythaˊ Hall
Office 1
Phone:
541-440-4649
Miscellaneous Information:

My decision to pursue teaching as a career was a decision I made in 10th grade—I had an English teacher who inspired me and appreciated me as a student, and I knew from that experience that I wanted to do the same thing. Before moving to Roseburg in the summer of 2008, I taught English at a community college in eastern Ohio, and before that, I spent several years teaching at a variety of colleges in the Pittsburgh, PA area as an adjunct instructor. I've also been an administrative assistant, a Dairy Queen fry cook, a FotoMat booth cashier, a qualitative research analyst, a warehouse worker, a phlebotomist, and a retail associate at The Gap. I feel that all of these jobs have made me the instructor and the writer I am today.

I hold an MFA in creative writing from Chatham University in Pittsburgh, PA, as well as an MA in English from West Virginia University in Morgantown, West Virginia. I also hold a BA in English, with a minor in philosophy, from West Liberty State College (now West Liberty University) in West Liberty, West Virginia. Every time I think about starting a PhD, I look at the outstanding balance on my current student loans, and I quickly change my mind.

Outside of teaching, I enjoy writing and painting, but I am much better at writing. I love horror movies, even terrible ones. I live with my four cats in Roseburg, while my partner and I split the commute between here and his home near Deadwood, Oregon.

I grew up in Weirton, West Virginia, a small steel town on the upper Ohio River. My family is still there, and much of my poetry comes from my life there, so I still consider it my home in many ways. However, the landscape, the people, and my career at UCC make this my true home. I think of myself as an Oregonian now, and I can't imagine ever leaving.

Jobs@UCC | A-Z Index | Maps & Parking | Campus Directory | Site Search | Web Feedback | Contact Us

MyUCC | Hawk Squawk eNewsletter | Alumni Membership | Complaints & Concerns | Coronavirus

© 2021 Umpqua Community College, 1140 Umpqua College Rd., Roseburg, OR 97470
Phone: 541-440-4600 | Toll Free: 800-820-5161 | Oregon Relay TTY: 711

UCC Non-Discrimination Statement.
UCC is an equal opportunity employer and educator. 
Umpqua Community College is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.

UCC on Facebook UCC on Instagram UCC on Twitter YouTube LinkedIn